Sunday, March 25, 2007

Embroidery - The moralities of stitching

Let's talk about the moralities and political correctness some embroiderers face from time to time. What may be a non-issue for some, really bothers others.

Let me just ask: We all know that recreating copyrighted logos and designs is not only wrong but illegal (without permission), but how do you feel about embroidering words or images that are offensive? What about offensive politically slanted views? How about a job with pagan symbols if you're Christian (or anything religious that you don't believe and view as negative)? Or what if a job for some warmup jackets came through your front door, with some strange symbols or words that you learned were gang related?

Do you turn away jobs for moral or PC reasons or is it "Just Business" and you set aside personal feelings to do the work? Is it not that black and white? Where do you draw the line?

Tell us what you think........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's a tough one.... I'm glad I haven't had to face that one yet. But, what will I do? Business is business, but it's still about who we are and what we belive. We all have a place wwhere we draw the line, but just where is that place? For me, it would have to be something that goes against what I believe. Not just in a minor way, but down to the middle of my soul.
But, then the question is, how do you deal with the customer? Do you go against another moral and lie about why you won't do it? Are little white lies ok?
Guess I'll have more answers on this one when I actually face the situation. Until then.....
Karen